Crisis Ministries provides food, shelter and hope to Charleston's most vulnerable citizens. This could not be possible without the support of the community. Donate now and be a part of the solution to end homelessness one person at a time, one family at a time.Learn more
Crisis Ministries was established in 1984, but what began as a warm meal and volunteer-staffed shelter has evolved into a comprehensive service agency dedicated to helping families and individuals end their homelessness. Click here to learn about all the services we provide to the hungry and homeless.Learn more
Volunteers help Crisis Ministries provide the basic human needs of food, shelter and hope to our clients. Crisis Ministries would not be able to provide these services without the thousands of volunteers who give of their time and energy and contribute to making our organization a success. Join us in making a difference by clicking here now.Learn more
Q - Why do people become homeless?
A - The challenges faced by people that are homeless are complex and multi-faceted. People become homeless for a myriad of reasons including financial problems, mental health issues, substance abuse, domestic abuse, physical health problems, or a combination of any of these factors. What everyone has in common though, is that they have no support systems to rely on. Most often people try to get help from their friends or family but when they have exhausted these resources, they come to the shelter.
Q - What is the history behind the shelter?
A - During the winter of 1984, individuals volunteering in the Grace Episcopal Church soup kitchen realized that more people than ever were seeking shelter in public buildings. A group of business and civic leaders, religious leaders, and Charleston Major Joseph P. Riley, Jr. joined forces, determined to bring together the community’s resources to ensure everyone in need had a safe place to sleep. From that effort, Crisis Ministries was born.
What began as a warm meal and a volunteer-staffed shelter has evolved into a comprehensive service agency dedicated to helping families and individuals end their homelessness.
Q - Where does Crisis Ministries get its funding?
A - Crisis Ministries receives 60% of its funding from community support and the other 40% from government support, as in federal, state, city, and county grants.
Q - How many men, women, and children stay at the shelter?
A - While the number of guests varies from night to night, the Men’s Shelter sleeps 84 men and the Family Center sleeps 40 women and children. Our Transitional Living Center can house up to four families. The number of children in the shelter changes often, one week there might be 10 children and the next week there might be none.
Q - What services do you provide for the guests?
A - Crisis Ministries provides a variety of services for Charleston’s homeless population Not only does the shelter offer a meal and a place to sleep, it provides comprehensive programs for its guests to help stop the cycle of homelessness and promote self-sufficiency. Every client is assigned a case manager, who provides essential guidance in identifying barriers to success and assists in the development of a self-sufficiency plan. While at Crisis Ministries, the guests have access to employment and educational services at the HELP center, primary health care at the Homeless Health Clinic, veterans’ services, various life skills groups taught by trained counselors, a legal clinic for civil legal matters, and transitional housing.
© 2013 Crisis Ministries All Rights Reserved | Mobile Site | Content Mangement System by BlueKey in Charleston, SC